Lap band surgery is a bariatric procedure where a silicone ring is placed around the stomach’s upper part. This gastric band reduces the stomach’s capacity to hold food and makes you feel full in a shorter amount of time.
A great advantage of lap band surgery or laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding is that it is reversible since no part of the stomach is stapled or removed. The time it takes for you to recover after the surgery is shorter than other types of bariatric procedures. An experienced surgeon will divide the stomach into a smaller upper and larger lower pouch, which will regulate the flow of food between the divisions.
Lap band surgery in Tijuana is considered as a last resort for those who fail to lose weight through regular means such as diet and exercise. Consider these advantages and disadvantages before undergoing a laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding:
- Lap band surgery is the least invasive procedure among the different bariatric surgeries.
- Gastric banding is reversible since there is no intestinal rerouting or stapling involved.
- The operation only takes about 30 to 60 minutes, and the recovery time is quick
- There is a lower risk of experiencing complications such as dumping syndrome, leaking, and vitamin deficiency as compared to the gastric bypass procedure
- Lap band surgery allows you to feel full in a shorter period with small quantities of food
- The amount of weight you will lose is smaller compared to more complicated procedures like gastric bypass and gastric sleeve
- There is the possibility of lap band slippage, which requires immediate medical attention
- You might experience weight gain as a post-op symptom
Before undergoing lap band surgery in Tijuana, make sure that you consult with a trusted clinic and an experienced bariatric surgeon to ensure your operation’s best results.